Monday, November 4, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie



It's starting to cool down here, which is about 70* here in Florida.  But as winter approaches, no matter how cold it actually gets, my body CRAVES cool weather comfort food.  This one was a huge hit with my family.  I even managed to "sneak" in some kale to up the nutritional value.  I used quotes on the sneak because my children have grown so accustomed to the taste of kale lately, they don't mind it anymore.  My son actually requests it.  I also used a pie crust I had in the freezer- it took about an hour to defrost properly- to save time.  You can find the pie crust recipe on the page where I teach pop tarts.  For a little added fun- since this was the day before Halloween- we used a black cat and a bat cookie cutter to shape the pie crust.  This cut down on the carbs in the dish and allowed my kids a chance to participate. :)

Ingredients:
4-5 carrots peeled and chopped
Two celery stalks chopped finely
1 cup corn frozen or fresh
2 cups kale leaves
2-3 cups chicken precooked and diced
1 TB vegetable boullion (I used Wildtree Foods)
2 cups chicken stock (I used homemade)
One pie crust

Mix all but the pie crust in a greased, oven safe pan.  Cook at 350* for about 45 minutes- one hour until the veggies are soft and warm.  Either roll and stretch pie crust, OR allow children to cut fun shapes and drop them into the liquid mixture.  Brush crust with a beat egg to give a beautiful color.  Cook another 20 minutes or so until your crust browns golden.

Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment