Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Homemade White Sandwich Bread- Bread Maker Version


Ok, I'm just warning you.  This bread is ADDICTIVE.  It's soft and chewy on the inside, light and flaky on the outside: all in all, the perfect homemade bread.  What I love about this bread is you most likely have the ingredients already, it's remarkably easy to make, and it's sturdy enough to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on.  I know, because I've already had two.  It also freezes well and for the first time, I didn't have my husband ask me to "please just buy our bread."

I went with a bread machine version because, let's face it, no one has 48 hours to make homemade bread.  This recipe takes 4 hours (depending on your machine) and does all the work for you with a bread machine.  Andrew bought me a WONDERFUL bread machine. (this one here: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SD-YD250-Automatic-Bread-Dispenser/dp/B00005QFL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380062841&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+bread+machine) and I can't say enough amazing things about it.  So far, I've made pizza crusts and bread, but there's the options to make cakes, dessert breads and even french bread.  With this machine, I have the option to select an XL loaf- which I do- and then I cut it in half and I have two loaves to slice for sandwich bread.  So really, each loaf comes out to costing around $.30.  WAY better than the $1.49 minimum for bread at the grocery store PLUS I know all the ingredients.  Which in my book, is still better although it's white bread.  I'll be trying this out with white wheat flour to see if it works as well.

Note:  This bread contains no preservatives, so it doesn't last on your shelf as long as a store bought loaf would.  I'm using what we didn't get to to make bread crumbs and bread pudding, but I recommend freezing what you won't use in 2-3 days.  It defrosts well, so there's no point in not freezing it anyway! :)

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbsp WHITE sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 cup luke warm water (I try to keep it between 105-110*)
2 1/2 tsp active yeast

Put all ingredients in machine as instructions dictate.  (This usually means dry ingredients first).
Use sandwich setting.  Allow to cool completely before slicing.


I recommend slicing it BEFORE you freeze it.  Just makes it easier when it's time to defrost and you're in a hurry!  I even made a sandwich for my daughter with frozen bread that thawed by the time lunch rolled around!  I don't like chancing things like that, but it turned out just fine! :)  Enjoy!!!


*Update!  Made this same recipe but subbed white wheat (wheat pastry) flour in for the all purpose and it is AMAZING!!  Try it with a healthier flour on your next batch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment