Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pizza Crust

This is actually the first post I have no photo for.  The reason:  it was eaten so quickly I didn't get a chance to photograph it!  I'll try to remedy the situation when I make it again!  What I love about this crust recipe is that you make it to your family's taste, it's easily frozen and makes for a quick meal even your husband can make!

I made four different crusts using my bread machine.  I froze all four and two days later defrosted one to use for pizza.  My husband told me it was the best pizza he'd had in a long time.  That's saying something because as a former employee of Pizza Hut, Andrew is hard to please pizza-wise. This will ensure you'll never spend money on a Pillsbury pizza crust again!  You can have homemade crust for less than .50/pizza that tastes better and has less artificial ingredients!

Get creative and clean out that fridge.  For the crust, do you prefer a garlic taste or an Italian Herb?  Toppings can be anything you have left over- from peppers and mushrooms to breakfast sausage or spinach.  Try making it with whole wheat flour, or spread cornmeal on the bottom before it's baked!  It's so easy, even a husband can do it! ;)

Dough Ingredients: Makes two 9x13" pizzas
1 1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dried garlic, garlic powder or 2 cloves minced finely.
1 packet active dry yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp)

Add all ingredients to bread machine in the order given.  Use crust setting on machine. Add water if the dough is too dry.  When finished, divide the dough in 1/2 and wrap each ball in a piece of wax paper.  Seal inside a gallon ziploc freezer bag.  To use: thaw, roll onto pizza stone and top with favorites.  Bake until crust and cheese are lightly browning.  For a crisper crust, bake crust alone approx 8 minutes before topping and returning to the oven.

Enjoy!

1 comment: