Thursday, September 12, 2013

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread



I'm a big fan of french toast.  Like a HUGE fan!!!  I love the warmth, the sweetness, the texture...all of it.  I hate the calorie content, the sugar rush and worse- the energy collapse two hours later.  I came across a recipe for an oatmeal bread from the Lemon Bowl and I decided to make some small adjustments- clean it up further and see if it could be used to make a good bread that would double as a base for french toast.  It came out WONDERFULLY.  Jacob is the pickiest eater, and with his sensory issues he's a HUGE texture snob.  So, the fact he wolfed down two slices (and this is very filling mind you) is a huge accomplishment.

Feel free to experiment.  Add fruit chunks, pureed banana, whatever you like.  I like the classic version, although I'll be making a blueberry one next.  These also freeze nicely, so make a double batch and freeze a loaf for when you're feeling hungry, but don't want a lot of work for a wonderful breakfast!!  This one will be the yummy in your tummy!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup white wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup clean greek yogurt.  I like Fage
1/3 cup grapeseed oil (Wildtree Foods)
2 large eggs
2 tsp real vanilla

Preheat oven to 350* and grease your favorite loaf pan.  Whisk together all your dry ingredients- entire list down to yogurt.  Take a hand mixer and combine yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla.  Use a medium-medium low speed.  Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  I added 1/4 of the dry mixture at a time.  Pour the batter into your loaf pan and bake 50 minutes.  Very important that you allow it to cool completely before you store or sample.  This is a VERY moist bread and will crumble even easier when warm.

When I made french toast, I just whisked two large eggs with a dash of almond milk, soaked the bread for a minute and then grilled on a griddle each side.  It was EPIC.  Best part:  I was full for hours!  It's a very filling meal without the sugar crash- thanks mostly to the wheat germ.  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment