Friday, September 6, 2013

Pumpkin Butter


Pumpkin Butter




My pumpkin butter is something I'm particularly proud of.  It started out as a fun recipe I tweaked til it tasted like "pumpkin pie in a jar."  I even sold it for a while to make extra money when we lived in DC.  It fills the entire house with the unmistakable smell of Fall.  Cinnamon, pumpkin and nutmeg are all crucial ingredients in both my favorite season and my most popular jam!  Spoon a little on a slice of homemade wheat bread, pancakes, or just enjoy with a spoon!  Keep in mind that due to the lack of preservatives and additives, this is best kept in your fridge and enjoyed within 3 weeks!

Ingredients:
29 oz canned pumpkin
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cup clear juice (think white grape or apple)
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Combine all ingredients in large pot and cook over med high heat until it starts to boil.  Then, lower heat to the lowest possible setting.  Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.  Let it cool down a bit and then put in a jar or other refrigerated container for up to 3 weeks.


2 comments:

  1. this is definitely something I'm making once it cools down out here. Also---you probably can't freeze it..right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried to freeze it. You can jar it and can it, so I imagine it would freeze! It never survives long enough in my house to be frozen or canned though! :) It's SO easy to make, I only make one batch at a time!

    ReplyDelete